BMW Motoradd state that, “Glasses instead of a helmet, light clothing, full balance without a stand: just three of a great many aspects which could become standard in motorcycling and give that feeling of freedom a new dimension in an increasingly digitalised world.”
Apart from its looks – design – materials used – electronic functionality – designer speak and a certain nowadays understanding of freedom on a motorcycle, “Freedom means experiencing the environment with all your senses, and feeling centrifugal forces, acceleration and the wind. Ideally without a helmet or protective clothing.” what does the “motorcycle” offer for the “distant future”?
What we have is:
- The tyres have a damping function and actively adapt to the terrain.
- If the handlebars are moved, the entire frame changes shape and facilitates the change in direction.
- As soon as you begin riding, the engine block protrudes out of the sides. In doing so, it optimises the aerodynamics and the motorcycle’s weather protection during the ride.
- Self-balancing enables the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100 to remain stable both during the ride and at a standstill. This in turn increases the level of safety for the rider.
- It also makes it easier for beginners, because they are led safely through every riding situation and cannot fall over.
- But experienced bikers can also profit from self-balancing. Because the motorcycle becomes even more agile, making the riding experience even more dynamic.
- With the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100, rider and motorcycle are engaged in a direct exchange. This takes place via the visor, a pair of data glasses comprising the entire field of view with an added wind protection function.
- The display is similar to that in an aircraft cockpit. It shows the current angle of lean and the ideal line. If there is any deviation, the rider can correct this. If the rider fails to react or does so too late, the motorcycle corrects itself.
- Light textiles as opposed to leather combinations and protectors:…………..An A/C function either cools or warms the rider as desired………….The flexible belt structure on the suit and shoes takes its inspiration from muscle cords. It actively supports the rider depending on the riding situation and in so doing relieves him of the burden………….With vibrating elements on the arms and legs, the clothing provides navigational signals or indicates when a limiting tilt angle is reached.
- A safety function of the rider clothing is not required due to the intelligent assistance systems.
At Motorcycle Minds we like a bit of vision and future scenarios – that “catapults” us “into the 40s of the 21st century.”
Of course by that time all other vehicles will be that safe and recognise motorcycles on the road……………….. Edgar Heinrich head of the design team, “paints the picture. Designers are assuming that in 20 years, most vehicles will be driving around autonomously.”
With a motorcycle that is so safe that a helmet or protective clothing would not be required, at least with the timescale from concept to reality we will have the chance to loose a few pounds/kilos to fit into the riding gear, which would appear to be required to ride the bike.
If you are in Los Angeles – USA – then you can observe the VISION NEXT 100 and the other BMW Group Vision Vehicles at the “Iconic Impulses. The BMW Group Future Experience” exhibition from October 13th until October 19th.
Original Source: BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100